Most women have some variation of a terrible boyfriend lurking in their past but chances are pretty good none of them were as bad as Outlander’s Black Jack, who most certainly qualifies as being the worst boyfriend material ever to walk the face of the earth. You might think “Well, of course”, especially if you have only seen the TV show’s version of Jonathan Wolverton Randall, but actually, in the books he is described as fairly popular with the ladies, getting numerous perfumed letters from female acquaintances who obviously saw him as a good catch and wanted more than he was able or willing to give. As I see it, this might be due to either 1) a typical case of women wanting to reform the bad boy or being attracted to his dangerous side, like those who date convicts or 2) him being able to put up a perfect facade like some of the most successful mass murderers of modern time, Robert Yates for instance who was married with kids and everyone in his community were shocked when the truth came out.
If your boyfriend/husband displays any of the following traits you might want to do some serious thinking about the old advice “It’s better to be alone than in bad company”.
1. He has some serious anger issues that need to be dealt with.
2. He literally can’t stop wanting to hurt people for his own pleasure.
3. You basically risk your life every time you are with him.
4. He is excruciatingly jealous and will go to extremes to make you see only him.
5. He doesn’t make you laugh. At all.
6. He almost gives you too much attention and uses every excuse to hunt you down.
7. Your family and friends don’t like him.
8. You feel nauseatingly nervous every time you are near him. No happy butterflies here.
9. You are an emotional wreck after each encounter and feel totally exhausted.
10. He is no good for your self esteem and does all he can to undermine your confidence.