We all know it. There are some things that people who are not into Outlander just don’t get. Here are some remarks that are sure to get your temperature rising for all the wrong reasons.
1. “Jamie Fraser is a fictional character. You do know that, right?”
– Off course you know he is fictional but that doesn’t mean you can’t dream of a man like him and hope that you can convince the man in your life to aspire to be just a little bit like Jamie Fraser. Besides, fantasizing about him puts an extra spark into your life and what’s wrong with that?
2. “You say she travels through time? Really? What a load of crap!”
– If people can go nuts over Game of Thrones and Star Wars then what on earth can possibly be wrong with a little time traveling? You are just lucky to have retained your childhood imagination. And by the way, time travel might actually exist, you know? It’s just not something you talk openly about.
3. “It’s just a cheesy romance story so what’s the big fuss about?”
– This is just about as wrong as you can get. It’s a marvelous tale of a lifelong marriage and the ups and downs of it. This is something not found anywhere else and also, a romance stops when the couple finally get together and really, this is where Outlander truly kicks off.
4. “Don’t you think some fans are taking it just a little bit too far?”
– The short answer to that is NO. You dream of traveling to Scotland yourself and doing an Outlander tour, and participating in one of the Outlander conventions. Getting to be in the same room as the cast would make your century. In fact, you are saving up for both of these.
5. “Claire is just such an idiot!”
– Well, that is actually one of the things you love about her and what makes her feel so real to you. You forgive her for the stupid things she does just like you would forgive your best friend. After all, we are just mere humans, not Gods.
6. “Diana Gabaldon is only doing it for the money.”
– Bullsh#t! With the huge success her books have had throughout the years she could have ended the series a long time ago and not worked a single day for the rest of her life. She writes because she has something to say and she has given you a wonderful world full of love, war, mystery, passion, hate and much more. You are SO grateful that you get to see more of it in future years.
7. “Jamie should have killed Black Jack when he first had the chance.”
Typical for someone who just doesn’t get it. That would have been a totally different story and not nearly as good.
8. “It’s totally unrealistic with all the dangers and trouble they encounter.”
– Come on – it’s a piece of fiction and as such meant to entertain the reader as well. It would eventually be dull without all the action. That is also part of what makes this series so good.
9. “I haven’t read the books at all.”
– How can you even begin to form an opinion of the whole series if you have only watched a few episodes? It is very rare for an adaptation to be better than it’s source material and you sure as hell cry a lot more reading than watching Outlander. We Outlander fans have been extremely lucky to have Ronald D. Moore do this so beautifully that in essence the TV series acts as a further enhancement of this wonderful story. The books and the show complement each other perfectly. Not all fandoms are so lucky.
These are some of the things that could get me going. What other aspects do you get annoyed over? Which of these bugs you the most?Feel free to write a comment about it.